Tom McKenzie - Chairman · Ray Henderson - Vice-Chairman
Betsy Rising · Helen
Leier · Michelle Meis
Meetings & Events
Dates: January 14 July 8
Township Board meets
on the 2nd
Tuesday of every month at 7p.m
the Nessel Township Hall
located at 49205 Acacia
Trail in Stanchfield, Minnesota.
Brief History of Nessel
Township was organized in 1871,
bears the name of its earliest pioneer farmer, Robert Nessel, who was
born in Germany, 1834, came to the United States in 1847 and to
Minnesota in 1854, and settled here in 1856. The Township itself was
organized in 1871 and had been a voting precinct since July 8, 1855.
The first Board of
Supervisors were: Wm. H. McCray, John M. Berit, and Matts Collin. Alice
Draper was the first school teacher. The first marriage was Wm.
Vanetter and Anna Johnson in 1861. Nels and Peter Anderson had the
first steam threshing outfit. Rush Lake and the soil attracted
people to settle in the Township and many of the farms are still owned
by the descendants of the early settlers. This was a great
camping place for the Indians as the lower lake was full of wild rice
which the Indians gathered. Also, at the narrows between the two lakes,
was a gathering place for the Indians during rice harvesting time.
Disclaimer: This website was created as a public
service for the residents of Nessel Township, Minnesota.
are made to provide current and accurate information on this website.
Any material found on
this website including, but not limited to the
minutes, policies and resolutions will be superseded by the
copies and information provided by the township clerk. Please contact
the township clerk, if any
naccuracies are discovered.